The second day of brigades is now over and we are meeting as
a team to review the last couple of days of brigade ministry. The barrio where
we served yesterday and today is named Cruz Rojo (Red Cross). It has that name because the
housing there was built by the Red Cross as one of the relief sites after
Hurricane Mitch in 1998. The church is Mount of Zion which is part
of the Church of God.
In the two days of clinics ninety-one people accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. We all feel blessed to see God at work in people's lives and gave us the chance to be a part of sharing His love.
Here are some of the things that the team members had to say
about their day:
Nick – My day started out in dentistry where I worked with
this awesome day with Karen a Honduran dentist who told Nick her salvation
story. Karen had brain cancer two years ago, but was healed and is now able to
use her hands again to serve as a dentist. I learned fasted how to pull teeth.
Later after lunch I got to go back with the kids
Sarah – Today I did concrete. Before we started in the
house, the team and I were standing outside talking with the family and some of
the kids. There was a break in the conversations
and all of a sudden we all hear “Abuelo Abuelo!” followed by a young boy racing
down the hill to meet his grandfather half way, greeting him with huge hug. This
touched my heart considering the absence of fathers, let alone grandfathers in
the lives of the Honduran children. It really made me appreciate my dad and
everything he does for me! So shout to him for being my favorite daddio :)
Tammy – There were more fathers present at the church with
their families than she has experienced on other trips to Honduras. Others in
the group agreed.
Barry – Barry’s mother, Fannie passed away June 20th. During evangelism, a woman named Fannie came
to speak with Barry and she accepted Christ. Barry’s sister’s name is Claudia
and he had an opportunity to witness to a fellow believer, named Claudia also.
He took that opportunity to pray for her and her family. Barry saw 16 people at
his evangelism station today. Ten were believers, three accepted Christ as
their savior, and three declined. Please pray for them all.
Dave – Came back to the church after concrete and was able
to watch Linda work with a couple in general medicine and watched her work.
Dave was also able to watch Greg work in evangelism.
Todd – Todd said that working with Dave in concrete was like
working with his own dad. He does the work of two men. Todd, also said he
appreciated doing a ½ hour prayer time and have a chance to see his daughter Jill
playing with the kids.
Greg – It was a bit frustrating to have three people in
evangelism in a row just say no to the gospel. The last person he met with was
a lady who listened, was interested and was ready to commit to Christ. At the
same time, the woman’s six year old daughter was right there to see her mother
commit to Christ.
Bethany – Evangelism started off for her as one Christian,
one accepting Christ, another Christian and a second who accepted. A man she
met with was very knowledgeable about the Bible, and after her prayer, he prayed
for five minutes for our group. The second to last person she talked with had
heard to gospel before but was very far away from God. She understood
everything and likely agreed with it, but still said “no” to accepting Christ.
She said she did not want to play a game with God, and couldn’t say “yes” with
a whole heart.
Matt – The last person he met with yesterday afternoon in
evangelism, was the person whose house we poured a concrete floor.
Jill – Mentioned that she was listening to Sal talk with a
woman who was reluctant to accept the gospel while she was playing with kids.
Jill said how she thought it was great that Sal took away here excuses by
telling her she didn’t need to go to church or through hoops.
Mikayla – Hi mommy, daddy, and my favorite brother Nick! I
hope you all aren’t missing me too much. I am having so much fun down here! It is truly
an incredible experience, but I really miss you all so much!! Every time I see
how beautiful the city and the culture is I wish you all were here with me to
share it with. But I know you are with
me in prayer. Monday I served in
dentistry, got to help pull some teeth and I got to wear a medical mask and
everything! Everyone said I looked like a natural. Today I felt challenged by God to serve in
Evangelism. It was hard. I was completely out of my comfort zone and I
learned a lot about what I need to work on in my own faith. I witnessed to 27 people, 5 of which accepted
Jesus into their hearts for the first time.
I also had one girl reject Jesus, and I ask that you will keep her in
your prayers. I have so much more to
tell you but it would be an essay! I love you all so much and I can’t wait to
see you on Saturday!! Love you to the moon and back!
Don – When serving in evangelism you never know how God is
going to use you and how people are going to respond to the gospel. I decided
that I need to avoid talking with women named Maria. I talked with two Marias
today and neither wanted to trust Christ as savior though both of them knew
they needed to. On a good note, Carlos, a young man 20 years of age, involved
in drugs and walking the streets looking for trouble, came to Christ through
the testimony of my translator, Jose, who came from a similar background.
Emma K.- I’m gonna keep it extremely simple. These people
are amazing. I’ve officially and truly fallen in love with the pure love in
these people’s hearts. I love these people. I love this experience. I love
serving others. I now love my life. And most importantly, I love God.
Tomorrow is a day of rest, but we still ask you to pray for
the team as we physically and mentally recover from the first two days of
clinics and prepare for the next two days.
We must learn to measure ourselves, not by our knowledge about God, not by our gifts and responsibilities in the church, but by how we pray and what goes on in our hearts. Many of us, I suspect, have no idea how impoverished we are at this level. Let us ask the Lord to show us.
ReplyDeleteJ.I. Packer