Dear Family and Friends:
One of Pastor Don’s devotions on the heart this week was about developing a heart with an eternal perspective. A heart focused not on “stuff” but on relationships with God and God’s people. The people in Honduras are not focused on “stuff”, but on relationships, because that is all they have. Mike Furguson, the CEO of WGO spoke to the group last night regarding the difference between obedience and sacrifice. Although sacrifice is good, God prefers obedience in our lives. One thing he mention stuck with me. We tend to think that God has this GPS system mapped out for our lives, giving us each turn and road to follow his will. Mike said that it is more like a compass and that doing God’s will is keeping your compass on the true north, God, and being obedient it what he has given and shown you. My life’s compass often times is off kilter because of my focus on the present and material things. I hope to make an adjustment to my heart’s compass so that it becomes one that seeks God’s whole heart and his people, an eternal perspective. It has made my joy complete to see my niece Emma and daughter Sarah pour out their hearts and love as they selflessly serve the Honduran people. What a blessing it is to see God work through your own family.
Love you all.
Brian
Good day brothers and sisters-
Today I had the opportunity to work with our optometrists. I helped fit 220 Honduran men, women, and children with glasses and some very stylish sunglasses. I really made me happy as I watched their faces light up when I asked them “Claro” or something close to that, which means is it clear, as they tested their new prescription glasses while reading the New Testament. What a joy to experience!!
This brings a new meaning to me when I hear the saying their eyes were opened to the Gospel
Thank you for your continued prayers.
In Christ I remain, His servant and yours,
Barry Booker
Hey y’all
I just want to say that this experience has truly changed me forever. Today I had the opportunity to do dental work at the brigade. While being EXTREMELY bored, I had the chance to think about the first two days I had working in Children’s and Concrete. There is absolutely no way to prepare yourself for the images you see, the smells you smell, and the claustrophobic quarters you encounter while installing concrete floors at homes. There is no way to describe the sinking feeling in your heart when you see kids two days in a row wearing the same outfit twice, yet still being 100% content. While brushing others’ teeth and applying toothpaste to toothbrushes, I could not help but continuously think about all those kids and teenager’s faces that I had encountered earlier in the week. They make me want to cry. I want to cry from all the happiness they've put in my heart. They make me want to cry from their insane positivism despite their awful conditions. They make me want to cry because they've faced far too much tragedy than any human should possibly encounter. I’m sitting here with tears running down my face because it makes me think about my life. Right now I’m going through one HUGE reality check. When I go home, I will always picture these 500 square foot homes, rotted mattresses, brown water, and clothing with countless holes. When I get back to Chicago, I don’t want to drive my car around. I don’t want to wear my name brand clothes. I don’t want to live in my clean and decorated home. I just want to be here. I want to be here surrounded by a positive community; people who take nothing for granted. People who smile from being handed a five cent bracelet. People who laugh and smile when I simply listen along to their music. People who get giddy when I take pictures with them. People who are thankful for having a legit floor in their home. I don’t want to go back to the states where it’s so hard to please anyone. All I want to do is stay here in Honduras, wrapped in hugs by various kids and teens. I just want to be here serving others, making a difference, and getting to know God more than I have ever before. I cannot truly express how thankful I am for this experience. I love these people, and I love God.
-Emma Kleker
Hi again to my family and friends in CT, MA, VA and UT. I worked in Ophthalmology for a few days. Today I chose to work all day in “Evangelism”. I was stepping outside of my comfort zone and asked the Lord to give me the words. So many of the people that had previously made a commitment to accept Christ now felt they would not go to heaven because they had sinned or weren't good enough. The scripture that seemed to give them reassurance and peace was John 10:28-30. “And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My Father’s hand. My father who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one”. What a blessing to pray with these dear people of Honduras. I made a list of each person I sat with today – Approximately 18 people. I have their names and their prayer needs. They were So happy that I was going back to North America and I would continue to pray for them, just as I did today. They felt So blessed that I would remember them. One elderly man, Jose, asked that he could pray for me when I had finished praying for his specific prayer needs. He prayed for some time (Like Obed does) and I do not understand the language – But the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart and I cried as he prayed. What a truly moving moment. This mission trip has truly touched me. It also causes you to search yourself. I so look forward to working in Evangelism all day tomorrow as well.
Lots of stories to tell when I return home.
Love you all, SueAnn
Tomorrow is our final day of clinics and our last full day in Honduras before we leave to come home. We have all been touched this week by the Honduran people, the WGO staff, and our fellow team members. God has used all of these people to direct our thoughts toward Him as He continues to work on our hearts.
Please pray that we will have the energy to finish the week strong, that God will bring the appropriate people to the clinic, and that we will be faithful to share the gospel boldly with all who come to the church. We know that God’s word is effective and will not return empty…we just need to share it! You can share it too in the Estados Unidos so give it a try!
Photos of the week can be found by clicking here
Continuing to pray for all of you. Brian, I especially like what you wrote about your heart's compass and that God desires obedience. Good thoughts for me to think about! I still miss not being there this year, but God is continuing to do His healing work in my life so that, just maybe, I can go next year... At least that is my prayer, but as always, it is God who will be deciding what is next.
ReplyDeleteI will be praying that you all finish strong!
In Him,
Joanne
The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!
ReplyDeleteHenry Ward Beecher