Tonight’s posting is a set of letters and notes and stories
from several of the team. Enjoy…
Good evening family and friends.
We've completed our first
day at the brigade. It is amazing to see the team that God has put together
come together. I worked in the area with the dentists and had a wonderful day
supporting them.
I’m truly blessed to be a part of this mission team and I am
wonderfully blessed to share this experience with my daughter Crystal. Our God
is an awesome God!!
In Christ I remain, His servant and yours,
Barry Booker
Hello, Connecticut, Massachusetts, California, Persian Gulf
Family and Friends,
The compassion and joy of the Honduran people has impressed
me on this first day. A young man
(probably in high school) visited the optical area four times today. First he came for himself, then back again
for a brother, mother or aunt (not sure which) and finally with his friends
(amigos). He gently and playfully guided
them each time. I am truly blessed to be
here and part of this mission.
Blessings and Love to you,
Joellen
Hey Mom and Dad- a special shout-out to y’all because I don’t
want to spend 2 dollars to call you, ha ha.
I just want to say that I am only 16 years old and I can truly
say that today has truly changed my life for the better and forever. Today I
was blessed with the amazing opportunity to serve the children of Tegucigalpa
by washing their hair, treating lice, preaching about the Word of God, and most
importantly in my eyes, putting ear-to-ear smiles on children’s faces. Before
arriving to Honduras, my cousin Sarah and I purchased a plethora of bracelets
and rings. Today I handed only HALF of these bracelets out and the kid’s smiles
just melted my heart. I don’t even know how to describe how I feel right now. It
was extremely humbling for these children to be excited by only a single
bracelet! Also, my three beautiful “groupies” flipped out when I brought out my
camera towards the end of the day. They were posing for so many pictures….more
diva-like than me! (if possible). I said this earlier to the people in my group
and I think this is the most accurate description of my day: I know many words
in Spanish but I cannot speak a full sentence…but I believe that I connected to
these kids emotionally and mentally. I know not all of this makes sense, but
you have to experience it to believe it. It’s only been one day and I’m forever
changed. God has blessed me. He brought me here for a reason: one for humbling
me, and the other I believe is to do what I love most: to serve others. God
bless and Gloria a Dios!
Emma Kleker
Greetings from Honduras!
We had a great first day of ministry! Thanks to all of you who are praying for us. I spent the day in evangelism. My translator’s name was Karen. She was only 14 years old but Godly wise way
beyond her years. I spent time getting
to know each person that came through and then shared appropriate verses with
them. I actually had the Hondurans read each
of the passages from a New Testament. Being
a teacher I then told them I was going to quiz them on the passage on their
understanding. Many had just received the glasses and could now read the verses
(many from the Roman road). God used me to share the gospel message and had
several re-dedications and four first time decisions to accept Christ. With these individuals I walked them over to
an information desk where another worker took down all their information (name,
address and phone number) and then there would be follow up by the church and
initiate discipleship! I used as much Spanish as I could remember
(my translator was impressed). In fact one time I asked a question in Spanish
and she was translating back in English to the Honduran! Very funny!
When time allowed I peaked my head out side and was very proud of
Jill. She was patiently washing children’s
hair and at other times she had a following of at least 6 – 8 kids. Jill was like the energizer bunny. She just kept going and going and going. Even at the end of the day she was playing
tag and giving piggy back rides. Looking
forward to see how God is going to use our team the rest of the week.
Love
in Christ,
Todd
Sikora
Dear Family and friends,
"Open the eyes of my heart Lord, open the eyes of my heart Lord,
I want to see you, I want to see you". Although many of us know and have sung
this song many times, nothing is more real to see these words come true in
Honduras. In “the States” as they say here in Honduras, our lives are so filled
with work, schedules to meet, places to be, and things to buy, that I rarely
see God working. Not that He isn’t, the eyes of my heart are just not looking
for it. As Americans, we tend to believe that we are better, smarter, and
stronger than those that that are poor, a different skin color, or don’t speak English.
Although I work and pride myself in not being prejudice, today God open my
heart and revealed that I am. That in subtle ways we evaluate people based on
their wealth, materials, skin color, and education level. Thank you Claudia, my
translator today in evangelism (she is only 17) for teaching me this valuable
lesson through the life you live and the heart you have for God and his people.
So proud of my daughter Sarah and my niece Emma! God is doing some amazing
things in them and through them. One of the first songs we sang in the Honduran
Church on Sunday was Open the Eyes of My Heart Lord (in Spanish of course). This
is also Pastor Don’s focus this week for devotion. Not a coincidence… God’s
plan (you are right Barb).
Love you all.
Brian
Good Evening Family and Friends in CT, MA, VA and UT!!!
I have such a new
appreciation for the love of God and his precious Son, Jesus! I thank the Lord for all that He has already
taught me and shown me in my first few days here in Honduras. I was blessed today to work in the Optical
area. To meet people that could no
longer read because they could not see due to no finances available to afford
glasses or the exam, was very moving.
When their eyes were tested by one of the team, and then examined by an
optometrist I had the privilege of assisting them in selecting glasses. I even learned four sentences in Spanish so
I could help them! (I will demonstrate
them when I come home!) When I then
handed them a Spanish Bible to view to see if their vision was clear – their
faces just lighted up SO brightly because they could read again. It really brought tears to your eyes to see
their happiness. They also are SO
grateful that we from North America have come to help them. They are such warm, loving, grateful
people! I am SOOOO happy that I am
here. I look forward to all that the
Lord will show me this week. He has
truly blessed me so much already and I am grateful that I am part of this
spectacular team, who together we are blessing others – and these dear people
of Honduras are blessing us!!! Love
you all, SueAnn
Adventures in Concrete (or Unintentional Exposure to
Wildlife)
Today I worked concrete.
I’ve done this before, and I truly enjoy the opportunity to serve a
family in a tangible way as well as get a chance to talk with them (using my
growing Spanish vocabulary). This
morning as we were making introductions, we were standing in the room (that now
has a concrete floor), and it felt like I had pins pricking up my legs. I looked down and saw a swarm of ants
crawling over my shoes. Evidently I was
standing on their nest, and they had decided to retaliate the only way they
knew how. I quickly moved and did my
best to brush down my legs to dislodge them. [I got many, but a couple made it
up to my neck.] After a while the
itching/burning went away, and it occurred to me that the nest had probably
been there for a while. It seemed to
contain many ants. I couldn't imagine
living in a room that had a nest of fire ants.
I truly hope the concrete floor we put in their today will help eliminate
the ants from the house, and I was blessed to be able to help in that effort. – Bethany Tollberg
Finally...
Please continue to remember to pray for us and if you want to see pictures from today (or any of the other days) Click Here
"There is something in humility that strangely exalts the heart" - Augustine
ReplyDeletePraying that your hearts are exalted as you humbly serve the people of Honduras and each other.
Barb
Praying you through your week! Bethany, I stepped in a fire ant pile while in FL. chasing a tortoise through a state park with a camera! At least you got attacked while performing a more noble deed! Hope you heal quickly... Praying that the hearts of the Honduran people will be changed forever by our Great God!
ReplyDelete~Joanne
Buenos Noches!
ReplyDeleteLove your posts and pictures :-) God is faithful! So wonderful to see how He is moving through all of you. Keep up the good work:-)
Love, Carol Hopkins
Hola from Worcester Mass!! I have been praying up a storm for all the members of this mission team and the Honduran people you encounter and most especially for my wife Annie and my dear friends Greg and Emma Skies’ hope you are having a great experience thus far - and since you are who you are I am quite sure things are going at that direction. Muchas Love & Hugs John
ReplyDeletePS In case there are any Red Sox fans among the group, the Red Sox beat the Yankees this past Sunday Night 8-7 in the 11th inning winning the series 2-1 Sympathies to Yankee Dave